Profile: Yellow Split Peas are pale yellow to beige in color and about 1/4 inch wide. When cooked, they have a mild, earthy flavor and a soft, granular texture.
- Vitamins A, B, and C, fiber, protein, and potassium are all abundant in this dish.
- They're great for thickening soups, stews, and curries because they break down during cooking.
Pisum sativum is a legume. Peas are spherical seeds in pods. They are an annual cool-season crop farmed globally. Although nominally a fruit, peas are a vegetable. Dried peas are a type of legume that comprises lentils and chickpeas.
Split peas are made by manually or mechanically slicing the pea where its two lobes meet. 1/4-inch Yellow Split Peas are golden yellow and lighter on the cut side. Mild, earthy flavor, soft, granular texture when cooked.
Dried peas have a 5,000-year history. Physicists believe they originated in southwest Asia, maybe in northwestern India or Pakistan. They expanded to the Mediterranean, Europe, and the New World quickly. The modern garden pea was invented in England, but Canada is the world's greatest exporter. Peas are a staple across the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe due to their nutrient density, adaptability, and affordability.
Dried peas are a great source of vitamins A, B, C, fiber, protein, and potassium.
Split peas thicken stews, soups, and curries when cooked. They taste earthier than dried peas.
|Shelf Life:||2 Years.|
|Basic Prep:||Yellow Split Peas shouldn't be soaked. Soak in boiling water for 45–1 hour. Soups thicken as this legume cooks down.|
|Ways To Use:||* Make a protein-packed Indian curry with tomatoes, onions, cream, and curry spices.
* Add to chili for a distinct taste.
* Make traditional Indian split pea pancakes with cooked, pureed split peas and a basic batter.
* Yellow Split Peas with fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, herbs, and lemon juice
* Cooked Yellow Split Peas make tasty dips and spreads.
|Country of Origin:||India|
|Handling / Storage:||Store in a cool, dry place.|
|Allergen Information:||None Specified.|
|Dietary Preferences:||All Natural, Gluten-Free, Kosher Parve, Non-GMO.|