Profile: Mat bean, moth bean, matki, Turkish gram, or dew bean are all common names for it. Moth beans can be fried or boiled whole. Moth beans are sprouted before cooking and used to make Usam in India, particularly in Maharashtra (spicy stew).
Mat bean, moth bean, matki, Turkish gram, or dew bean. Cook or fry whole moth beans. Moth beans are sprouted before cooking in Maharashtra, India, to make Usam (spicy stew). For breakfast or other meals. Misal Pav requires Usal. 100g of raw moth bean seeds include 343 calories, 23 g of protein, 62 g of carbs, and 1.6 g of fat.
This semi-arid lentil is grown in India. The skin is tan or light brown and the inside is yellow. Maharashtra's vegetarian dishes feature moth beans. Moth sprouts' crisp texture and sweet-nutty flavor enhance many recipes. You can sauté or fry this small lentil.
Before cooking, maharashtrians sprout moth beans. Once sprouted, they're used to produce a spicy stew called Usam. Moth beans work good with rice and rotis as well as Pav. Moth sprout salad, Moth beans stir fry, Moth Pulav, cheela, chaat, and dosas can also be made with this healthful cuisine.
* Moth bean health benefits:
- Moth beans are high in antioxidants, which assist to minimize the risk of illness.
- They're nutrient-dense, with plenty of magnesium and potassium to help lower blood pressure.
- Moth beans are high in protein, which serves as a building block for bones, cartilage, muscles, and skin.
- High in fiber- Its higher fiber content aids digestion.
- Regularly including moth beans in your diet is also known to lower cholesterol levels.
* Moth Sprouts Salad Recipe
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)- 1 tbsp
- Green chillies- 1 to 2, finely chopped
- Tomato- One small, finely chopped
- Lemon Juice1 tsp
- Salt As per taste
- Chaat Masala 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 1/4 cups, finely chopped
- Onion- One small, finely chopped
- Water- 2 cups
- Moth beans- ½ cups.
* Method to make Moth sprouts salad
- Rinse the sprouting moth beans thoroughly with water.
- Place the sprouts in a serving basin and set aside.
- Onions, tomatoes, and green chilies, chopped
- Combine salt, Chaat masala, and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander leaves are sprinkled on top. Serve right away.
- It should not be stored since it will grow soggy.
Method to make sprouts
- 12 cup moth beans, soaked overnight in 1 cup water in a jar
- Moth beans will double in size after 10 to 12 hours. Remove the water and wait 24 hours
- Add 1 cup of freshwater after 24 hours and leave for another 6 to 8 hours.
- Sprouts will be 1 to 12 inches long.
|Shelf Life:||2 Years.|
|Country of Origin:||India|
|Handling / Storage:||Store in a cool, dry place.|
|Allergen Information:||None Specified.|
|Dietary Preferences:||All Natural, Gluten-Free, Kosher Parve, Non-GMO.|